Khulumani Support Group announced that not one of its members have so far received the R30 000 reparation amount announced by government.
Abstracts from article:
After enduring an agonisingly long wait, the victims' hopes were raised last week after the government published a regulation in the government gazette, which paved the way for the payment of R30 000 reparation grants to the 22 000 victims identified through the Truth and Reconciliation Commission process.
The victims were promised reparation after the completion of the TRC process. But the process was thrown into controversy after the Inkatha Freedom Party instituted legal action against the TRC.
But earlier this year, after the marathon legal stand-off, the TRC agreed to make changes to the final report, paving the way for the disbursements of reparations. Last week, the government said it was going to start paying the victims on November 17.
Justice ministry spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said at the weekend they had started disbursing the money. "The victims have given us their bank account details and we will deposit the money directly into accounts. So far the process has been going smoothly," he said.
- Musa Ndlovu from Khulumani said of the 22 000 victims identified by TRC, 11 000 were from [KwaZulu-Natal]. He said they had not heard of anyone who had received the money by last night.
- Source: Full article "Apartheid victims face a bleak Christmas" appeared on the Independant Online iol.co.za website